Celebrate International Book Giving Day 2014 in your community!
International Book Giving Day is a grassroots initiative run entirely by volunteers like you! There are a variety of ways for you to get involved.
Become an International Book Giving Day community organizer:
1. Invite community members to celebrate by hanging the International Book Giving Day 2014 poster in your community, or use other means to invite people to celebrate;
2. Plan an International Book Giving Day event that’s open to the public; e.g. invite a local bar to host a Beers for Books event, organize a book drive, or plan a storytime session for children in your community; and
3. Invite a local independent bookstore to offer individuals purchasing books for International Book Giving Day a discount. Bookstores are welcome to give out stickers or bookplates designed by illustrators. These are available to download and print for free right here at our website and are available to purchase at our Zazzle store.
Other fantastic ways to get involved:
College Students – Plan a fundraiser to raise money for a literacy nonprofit; collect used textbooks for Books for Africa; or plan a Beers for Books event at a local bar, where $1 per beer sold is donated to Room to Read.
Teachers – Organize a Valentine’s Day book swap. Invite students to donate used books to the book swap. On Valentine’s Day, let each student, including those who did not contribute books, choose one or more books to take home with them. Alternatively, invite each student to choose a favorite book from the library, wrap it up and gift it to another student on Valentine’s Day.
Bookstore Owners – Offer a discount to customers purchasing books for International Book Giving Day, or donate a portion of each book sold to a good cause.
Rock Stars / Musicians – Play a benefit show in conjunction with or separately from a Beers for Books event.
Runners – Run a Valentine’s Day road race, and raise money for your literacy nonprofit of choice. Invite other runners to join you. Connect with runners raising money for literacy nonprofits via Crowdrise.
Mentors – Invite fellow mentors to celebrate International Book Giving Day by giving a new or borrowed book to their mentee.
Bloggers – Encourage readers to celebrate International Book Giving Day by writing a post or adding the International Book Giving Day badge to your website. Submit a link to your International Book Giving Day post, and we will share it! In addition, you are invited to celebrate International Book Giving Day and participate in our International Book Giving Day link-up from February 14th through February 21st.
Librarians & Other Community Leaders – Consider how to best get books to children in need in your community.
- Invite others to participate.
- Organize a book drive.
- Organize a fundraiser for a literacy nonprofit.
- Organize a volunteer event for a literacy nonprofit.
- Organize a Beers for Books event at a local bar.
- Organize a used book swap.
- Organize a storytime.
- Help publicize International Book Giving Day.
Count Me In
Note: Any information you submit here will remain private. I will not share your name or email address with anyone without your permission.
If you organize an International Book Giving Day event and would like to invite others to participate, please submit it to the International Book Giving Day Event Directory!